Oral Effective Norethindrone Prevent Pregnancy Raw Material Drugs 68-22-4 Powder
||Norethindrone . 19-Norpregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one,17-hydroxy-, (17a)-
||447 °C at 760 mmHg
||chloroform: ≥50 mg/mL, clear, colorless
||White to creamy white crystals or crystalline powder
- Norethindrone is also used to prevent pregnancy. Norethindrone is sold under different brand names and is taken in smaller amounts when it used to prevent pregnancy. This monograph does not include information on the use of norethindrone to prevent pregnancy. If you would like more information on that use of norethindrone, read the monograph called ''Progestin-Only Oral Contraceptives.''
- Norethindrone is used to treat endometriosis, a condition in which the type of tissue that lines the uterus (womb) grows in other areas of the body and causes pain, heavy or irregular menstruation (periods), and other symptoms.
- Norethindrone is also used to treat abnormal periods or bleeding and to bring on a normal menstrual cycle in women who menstruated normally in the past but have not menstruated for at least 6 months and who are not pregnant or undergoing menopause (change of life).
- Norethindrone is also used as a test to see if the body is producing certain female hormones (natural substances that affect the uterus).
- Norethindrone is in a class of medications called progestins. It works by stopping the lining of the uterus from growing and by causing the uterus to produce certain hormones.
How should this medicine be used?
- Norethindrone comes as a tablet to take by mouth.
- Norethindrone is taken on different schedules that depend on the condition that is being treated and on how well norethindrone works to treat the conditions.
- When norethindrone is used to treat endometriosis, it is usually taken once a day for 6 to 9 months or until breakthrough bleeding becomes bothersome. When norethindrone is used to bring on a normal cycle in women who have stopped menstruating, it is usually taken once a day for 5 to 10 days during the second half of the planned menstrual cycle.
- To help you remember to take norethindrone, take it at around the same time of day every day that you are scheduled to take it. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take norethindrone exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
- If you are taking norethindrone for endometriosis, your doctor will probably start you on a low dose of norethindrone and gradually increase your dose, not more than once every 2 weeks.
- Norethindrone may control your condition but will not cure it. Continue to take norethindrone even if you feel well. Do not stop taking norethindrone without talking to your doctor.
||White crystalline powder
||98 .0~ 102.0%
|Loss on drying
||total impurities ≤1.0%
|any individual impurity ≤0.5%